Saturday, July 28, 2012

Love and Romance in Genre Fiction

I've watch "Titanic" for the upteenth time. I finally realized why I like that movie so much. The sinking of the Titanic is only the back story. The real theme of the movie is Jack's showing Rose how to live in the moment. I may be a romantic, but I believe love belongs in most fiction. I know that my novels all contain romantic love at some point although they are not love stories in the traditional sense.

Think about some of the greatest movies, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Pulp Fiction, Lord of the Rings and even Star Wars. These all have great love stories in them.

Of my own novels, three stand out. The first two books of the Morgaine series about a young woman who falls in love with an occultist and her rival, a witch. The second is For the Love of Kumiko which is about a man who falls in love with a humanoid robot and the chaos this romance causes in his life.

No comments: